126 turbo 700ccm, please help...

Sortuj wg daty:
rosnąco malejąco
Hi everybody,

I started to rebuild my little Fiat to 700ccm turbo. I wan't to keep the existing engine block due to the fact that it is impossible to do an engine swap in a legal way in SVK. I have no fear that the engine will break apart beacuse I have brand new forged high-compression cylinders and pistons, titanium valves and reinforced valve springs. (turbo and carb are from renault5 gt turbo).

My problem is the gearbox - the original one is probably too weak. Can anybody write me what gearbox should I use? Or what modifications should I do in order to make the original gearbox stronger?

Thank you very much.

Finding a stronger gearbox for Fiat is not a simple task. I have seen Skoda 130 5 speed gear box mounted in fiat 126 chassis and connected to the 1.2 MPi engine. I would think it will be the easiest and also the cheapest choice for your project. You shouldn't have any problems with finding one in SLV. Good luck. Put some fotos here when the project will go futher.

Kind Regards

It also depends on the expected power and torque. Most of 1.2 swaps I've seen are based on a 126 gearbox. So it should be sufficient to 75HP and about 100Nm. But it probably depends on the way you handle it. Serial clutch handles about 75Nm max if handled carefully. And the weakest element of the gearbox are the elastic joints conecting rear wheels to the axels. So even if you would use the original gearbox, you would probably have to replace them with something stronger. Good luck.
And may the force be with you

Thank you guys for your information.
mmost, r5 gt turbo has 118HP/174Nm with 1397ccm and turbo set to 1bar. the 126 engine i have, has 700ccm so I expect a maximum of 65-70 HP and 85Nm. This means the power and torque are still below values you've mentioned. OK I will try to use the original gearbox and upgrade the joints like you've proposed (could you please give me some more info if possible?).
Have a nice weekend.

there is a company that sells theese joints (also click here), and theese should do nicely, but anothere alternative is simple and cheap. it's replacing the bell shaped, cast iron element connecting the axle with the elastic joint, with another elastic joint. it's common in rally 126s. this way the joint is twice as elastic as the original one.

and by the way, remember that a smaller engine volume produces less exhaust gases, thus the the turbo charge will probably be not as powerfull as expected

if you have any ather questions feel free to ask

i hope to see some pics
good luck

ps you should also be awere of excess heating due to increased power

[ wiadomość edytowana przez: mmost dnia 2006-10-28 23:53:44 ]

[ wiadomość edytowana przez: mmost dnia 2006-10-28 23:55:37 ]

Guys, you've saved my ass :o), thank you very much again! I will buy those joints, I only hope the company will be abe able to send them abroad.

I know I can't expect that the turbo will be able to create a 1.3Bar pressure That's OK beacuse the engine simply isn't situated for such a high pressure. 0.6-0.7Bar will be nice.

Since I don't want the engine to overheat, I am installing an oil cooler and I will also bring more cold air from the front using an alluminium pipe.

Photos will follow later.
thanx and bye

if you need any hints with the oil cooler, feel free to ask , a by the way: how do you intend to supply oil to the turbo?? (curious)

Well, if you know a cheaper alternative as buying this - extension to the timing case with the outlet for oil cooler (cca 190eur) then I would be very grateful. The turbo is from 'phase 1' - cooled only with oil, I simply wanted to enlarge the oil circuit to engine->turbo->oilcooler. It is in the same way like on the R5GTT.

There are some photos of upgrade components at my page Fiat 126 TURBO, but I didn't make any new photos recently, and it's written in slovak

Have a nice day!

i do know a cheaper alternative my whole oil cooler do-it-yourself-kit cost about 75euros. all you have to do is buy a new timing case cover, weld some aluminium on it, drill a hole, make a thread, and voila however if you're mounting a turbo some extra filtering of oil would be nice.

click "chlodnica oleju"
it's in polish, but the pics should tell you the whole story, but as i said: instead of just drilling a hole in the cover, weld some aluminium on it so it looks more or less like that :

an by the way, if you are really thinking of mounting that turbo, the making your own oil cooler shouldn't be a problem
[ wiadomość edytowana przez: mmost dnia 2006-10-30 14:33:55 ]

[ wiadomość edytowana przez: mmost dnia 2006-10-30 14:36:43 ]